PCCS Conference 2023: Communicate to Connect Newsletter
Are you ready to join us for the most thrilling conference of the year? The PCCS Conference 2023 is coming to Edinburgh on 4-6th October 2023, and we can’t wait to welcome you to Scotland!
This conference is for everyone involved in the provision of paediatric critical care, from doctors and nurses to researchers and educators. Our theme is ‘Communicate to Connect’, recognising that so much of our clinical practice is driven by communication: with each other, with our multi-disciplinary colleagues, with our families, with the evidence, with the research.
We have an exciting program lined up for you, featuring keynote speakers such as:
- Cathy MacDonald, a former hostage negotiator who will share her insights on how to communicate effectively in high-pressure situations.
- David Cooper, the president of the Paediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society (PCICS), he’ll discuss: high reliability teams, shared decision making and innovative care in paediatric cardiac care.
- Harish Vyas and Patrick Davies, the creators of PicPod, a flipped podcast Iin that they will be interviewed on podcasting, its place in medical education and the 5-year-long journey of the PicPod.
- Frédéric Valla, a leader in metabolism, endocrinology and nutrition, his talk is about best current practices in prescribing fluid and feeds.
- Vicent Modesto, an expert in the field of mechanical ventilation, will present on how to ventilate effectively and protect the lungs at the same time.
- Elizabeth Henderson, an advocate for medical humanities, who will explore the importance of narrative, empathy and compassion in paediatric critical care.
- Jason Leitch, the national clinical director for the Scottish Government, who will share his perspective on the impact of COVID-19 on paediatric services and the future of healthcare in Scotland.
- Carli Whittaker, the president of the Paediatric Critical Care Society (PCCS) will be our final keynote speaker for this year’s conference and will be discussing the future of PCCS.
You will also have the opportunity to attend workshops, that will include:
- Extracorporeal life support (ECLS)
- CACTUS ultrasound
- Non-invasive ventilation (NIV)
- End of life care and organ donation
All this, as well as building connections with peers through networking whilst enjoying the architectural and cultural delights of Edinburgh.
But hurry, registration is now open and places are limited! You can register online at www.pccs2023.scot where you will also find more details about the conference venue, accommodation, travel and social events.
Don’t forget to submit your abstracts by 30th June 2023 for a chance to present your work and win prizes. We are looking for abstracts on any topic related to paediatric critical care, from clinical cases to quality improvement projects to original research. You can find the abstract submission guidelines at www.pccs2023.scot.
We are also pleased to announce that we will be offering PCCS 2023 awards for best oral presentation, poster presentation and oral poster presentation. These awards will recognise excellence in research and innovation in paediatric critical care. The winners will receive a certificate and a cash prize.
In addition, we are offering PCCS 2023 bursaries for eligible delegates who need financial assistance to attend the conference. These bursaries will cover part or all of the registration fee and travel expenses. To apply for a bursary, please visit www.pccs2023.scot and fill out the application form by 31st July 2023.
We hope you will join us for this unforgettable conference and celebrate paediatric critical care with us. Let’s communicate to connect! 🙌